After writing that WIPs roundup post, I decided I should actually take some next steps on the one thing that didn’t require me to spend money.
Before I went further I consulted with some of my FB friends who I know have more quilting experience.
The general consensus was that I should do a test swatch to see how it quilts and how it washes.
Today, that’s what I did.
Because the wool is a bit poofier than the cotton batting I normally use, I need to be careful when quilting. The top fabric tends to get pushed a bit even with a walking foot. You can see some puckers in there.
I purposefully did both straight lines with a walking foot and free motion stuff. It was nice to quilt.
I also made sure there were densely quilted areas and not so densely quilted areas so I could see if, when washed, the batting moves around or bunches up in the less densely quilted areas.
Although I do have a hand wash cycle on my machine, I decided that my preference would be to throw it in with a regular load so that’s what I did with my test swatch.
I think it shrunk but I didn’t measure the before.
The most noticeable thing right away is that there’s a lot of wool fibre that migrated out of the middle.
I’ll need to wait until it dries to see what else went on.
I seem to have misplaced my copy of Angela Walters free motion quilting book, too. Between those 2 facts, I’m going to switch to knitting for the day.