I know, there is a growing pile of WIPs in the patchwork section of the craft room but those things require me to buy stuff. I’m trying to practice restraint.
I have been thinking for a while that instead of regular curtains, I could make small quilted panels (wall hangings?) for Freya’s room as window coverings. Her windows are just under 3′ square.
And there was that pile of fat quarters in shades of purple Kona solids I bought in the Leap Day sale at Flare Fabrics.
That’s not the whole pile, that is the selection I chose for this project.
I was leafing through books looking for ideas and came across the pattern I used for Freya’s baby quilt. (for those who don’t know, I made this 15 years ago)
I sewed the columns together the wrong way round so it should read spring to winter from the top left to bottom right but mine is top right to bottom left. Oh well.
Each 9-patch is different. It has the effect of weaving colours. This 36″ x 48″ quilt has 6 colours across and 8 down.
Gallagher also acknowledges inspiration from the Amish tradition, particularly in the use of solid colours and in the inclusion of very dark colours.
I decided that a 36″ x 36″ in variation using 6 shades of blue-purple and 6 shades of red-purple would be interesting. Hence the selection above.
I cut 27 squares of each colour (2.5″ squares for 2″ finished size).
I drew a diagram so I’d get all the 9-patch blocks right.
And I stacked up my squares in groups of 9 ready to sew.
That’s the first row pieced.
I’ve now got the whole top finished but I’ll post about that separately.