Since I’ve finished Concert in the Park, I decided that I needed another lace project on the needles. I enjoy knitting lace and I like to have something complicated in the WIP pile. So I cast on for Lunna.
I had purchased this pattern and some J&S cobweb singles to knit it with during the summer after a discussion on my knitting list. I think Ted might have suggested that it looked like a good introduction to Shetland lace. I usually find Ted’s advice rather good and spent some cash.
So yesterday I got out those skeins of yarn and wound them into balls. Easier said than done. The yarn is a bit sticky (not a bad thing when knitting lace; you don’t want dropped stitches running away too quickly after all) and extremely thin. I’m pretty sure dental floss is thicker. So it must be done rather slowly and carefully and it still breaks. Some swearing might have been involved.
Then I started knitting. It goes kind of slowly just because the yarn is so fine. I’m enjoying the pattern. I’m also thanking whichever fairy whispered in my ear that I should count the number of boxes in the chart because there are 63 and the instructions say to cast on 67. Having counted before knitting the first pattern row (there are 8 plain rows to start) saved me the frustration of ripping that row out to get the pattern centered properly.
I have now knit 40 rows and twice I have had to tink back to repair yarn that broke when I was trying to do a K3tog. Very frustrating. I’m glad I know how to spit splice. After the first time it happened, I’ve been being extra careful but this yarn isn’t called cobweb weight for nothing and some spots are incredibly thin. Getting the needle through 3 stitches at once can put a little strain on it.
The second time it happened was much more frustrating as a couple of the stitches ran back a bit before I could catch them (with a paperclip which is very handy for holding dropped stitches where they are until you can sort them out). I had to tink back about 4 rows to get it sorted out. But that is much better than starting all over again.
Here is a not that great photo of where I am now. The colour isn’t quite that pink (it was called lavender but is not as blue as I expected lavender to be). And that photo doesn’t show you much of the stitch definition. What can I say. I am not a photographer. It is not daylight. But you folks keep asking for photos. So you’ll have to content yourself with this for now.